Will you want to quit during your session? Maybe. By your fourth set of every exercise you will most likely start to fatigue. But don't stop. Keep going. Reduce your reps or slow down your tempo. Just keep going. You will love the results that you will get.
What should your heart rate goal be? Work at approximately 70-85% of your heart rate (HR) max. However, you will get better results working on maintaining a HR around 85% of HRmax. Overall, listen to your heart. You will know if you can push yourself or if you should hold back. A generic formula for HRmax is 220 - age = HRmax.
- 220 - 25 = 195
- 195 x .75 = 131
- 75% of HRmax is 131 beats per minute
- Make sure that this is not your first ever exercise session
- Practice a few anaerobic exercises with other workout sessions prior to performing your first Tabata session. This will help raise your anaerobic tolerance so you won't die doing Tabata.
- Sprints to exhaustion
- Body Weight (BW) or standard resistance training to exhaustion
- Try performing an hour long weight training session in 20-30 min, so you are exhausted.
- Be able to run 1.5-2 miles without stopping.
- Tabata might focus on the anaerobic system, but aerobic fitness will make this training more tolerable
- Make sure that you have a post workout snack or beverage handy
- You will be hungry after your workout
- Your thermic effect of exercise will be exceptionally high after an intense bout of Tabata
- Trust me, you will be hungry afterward
- A standard protein shake with a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 carbs to protein will be perfect.
- Squat to Heel Raise
- Up Down Planks